Impressive story, characters, and worldbuilding deserve the privilege to depart.

toppage フォーラム 洞南会掲示板 Impressive story, characters, and worldbuilding deserve the privilege to depart.

Impressive story, characters, and worldbuilding deserve the privilege to depart.

• このトピックは空です。
1件の投稿を表示中 - 1 - 1件目 (全1件中)
  • 投稿者
    投稿
  • #222429 返信
    ggamariano
    ゲスト

Even with 16 primary entries (20 if you count X-2, 13-2, Lightning Returns, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake) and a plethora of spinoffs, there’s no FF game quite FF16. The most recent in this legendary series is more an progression of the character action genre than the role-playing game core the franchise was built on. It merges fast reflexes with character-building RPG mechanics, but focuses far more on the former than ever before. It’s not a perfect mixture – while the combat is phenomenal for an action RPG, it is admittedly a bit lacking when compared directly to the pinnacles of the character genre – but even an imperfect mix is strong enough when paired with FF16’s epic, 50+ hour story. It’s packed with memorable characters, outstanding worldbuilding, an incredible soundtrack, and awe-inspiring moments of sheer spectacle the kind of which are seldom seen in any game.

FF16 picks up the ball that FF14 got rolling and continues to move the series back down the path of high fantasy, taking more than a little influence from GoT along the way. Its story spans decades’ worth of history in the realm of Valisthea, a land brimming with both splendor and death as an encroaching blight forces neighboring kingdoms to fight over untainted resources, including five colossal Mother Crystals that are the primary source of the realm’s magic.

At the heart of this tale is your character, Clive Rosfield, the eldest prince of the kingdom of Rosaria and protector of his brother Joshua, the Dominant of Phoenix (…let’s not get caught up in jargon for now, we’ll talk about Dominants a bit later). Clive is a remarkable, well-rounded protagonist, brilliantly brought to life by actor Ben Starr. He undergoes a lot of change and development over the course of the lengthy story, but always remains supremely likable, relatable, and an absolute badass when the need arises, as it very frequently does.

The rest of the cast is superb as well. Jill (played by the excellent Susannah Fielding) is Clive’s childhood companion and acts as a wonderful companion who understands and empathizes with Clive on a profound and sentimental level, and the heartwarming scenes between them are always a standout as their bond grows. Cid is likely my blog new all-time favorite FF character. He’s virtually got a youthful Liam Neeson type going on, regardless of being voiced perfectly by Ralph Ineson (who’s having quite a year in the world of video games, having also appeared in Diablo IV). Cid is a born leader, overflowing with charisma and charm, and without going into specifics, his purpose is one that was very simple to rally behind and made me thrilled to follow him and his band of outlaws.

A Narrative that Sticks

The major accomplishment of Final Fantasy 16’s story, though, is how it never leaves you to drown in its lore. This is a huge world complete with five kingdoms, each with their own forms of governance, rulers, religions, and ideals; a whole encyclopedia’s worth of realm-specific terms, like bearers, Eikons, and Dominants; and a great history of the world that you’re expected to keep up with in order to get the most out of the major story moments. It would all be a little daunting if not for an brilliant quality-of-life feature that I truly hope becomes standard throughout all story-heavy video games: Active Time Lore.

At any point during any cutscene or conversation, you can hold down the DualSense touchpad to bring up a series of contextual compendium entries that are relevant to what’s going on in that scene. So anytime a character mentioned a term, character, or location that I either didn’t know or needed a reminder about, I could bring up the Active Time Lore and a succinct entry would be right there to get me up to speed. These entries change with the events of the story too, updating with new information about the state of the world and Clive’s knowledge about it as it happens.

Having this type of feature was a blessing. Later on, big missions are also paved with stylish history lessons by your crew’s scholar that fill you in on what you need to know about the region you’re about to visit – who the rulers are, their ambitions, their allies, their enemies, and so on. I know that might sound like school, but it actually did a truly efficient job of bringing me into, and keeping me invested in, the realm of Valisthea.

One of the most captivating elements of the story – and one that also ends up being an exceptional addition to the already very good combat – is the existence of Eikons and Dominants. Eikons are exceedingly powerful beings that FF fans will recognize as the usual invocations from previous games, and Dominants are the special humans who are able to tap into their power, even to the point of fully transforming into them. In the lore, Dominants are used nearly like nuclear deterrents; saved as a final option due to the potential mutually assured destruction that would be caused by their fights.

Final Fantasy 16 will very likely be looked back upon as a turning point for mainline FF games, taking its combat fully in the direction of an action game, but I hope that conversation doesn’t overshadow its dark and captivating tale, memorable characters, and the innovative ways in which it helps you keep track of it all. The Active Time Lore feature is incredible, and should be standard for all story-driven games going forward, and while the combat may not live up to the sky-high standards as some of the best games in the action genre, among other action RPGs, it’s near the top of the heap. Pair all of that with one of the best soundtracks of the year, incredible performances from top to bottom, and drop-dead gorgeous visuals, and you’ve got a game worthy of an orchestral Final Fantasy victory fanfare.

1件の投稿を表示中 - 1 - 1件目 (全1件中)
返信先: Impressive story, characters, and worldbuilding deserve the privilege to depart.
あなたの情報:

次の記事

ホームページ再開おめでとう